This a spot for my Top 5 lists of almost everything that I’m interested in- from Comic books to Movies, and will be updated as my preferences change kin an attempt to keep this as up-to date as I can for when I inevitably get asked “What’s your top…..”
- American Gods (Neil Gaimen)- as a book this contained everything I’m looking for, a great leading character and an amazingly well developed support cast, along with a thoroughly engrossing and rich story that holds you from the minute it begins until the minute it ends, while containing the right balance of action and emotion to keep you hooked. Its so well written you’ll never want to put it down- if you only read one book this year make it this.
- Horns (Joe Hill)
- Dark Tower Series (Stephen King, not technically one book but reading one alone isn’t enough)
- Dune (Frank Herbert)
- Zoo City (Lauren Beukes)
- Batman Arkham City- an odd choice for my top game maybe, but the shear depth of missions to complete and the way it held true to the comic books history made this not only the best comic book game ever, but my favourite of all time. Add to that the wealth of additional content (playing as Robin anyone) and the fluidity of the combat system and you truly have a game that i played happily for months without it feeling like a chore.
- Half Life
- Metal Gear Solid: Tactical Espionage Action
- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Heavy Rain
Comic Books (Ongoing series):
- X-men- this is anything that relates to Marvels Mutants, as over the years i’ve collected every title on offer (at one point or another) and despite cutting down my weekly buys- the Xbooks never vanish. There’s clearly something to be said about the 100+ mutants who been an official X-man and the countless mutant and other villains that they have encountered. Plus with characters like Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Magneto and Colossus how can you not love this bunch.
- Amazing/Sensational Spiderman
- Pans Labyrinth- this makes the top of this list without question. The movie is a true fantasy masterpiece, the cast are superb and the dialogue is amazingly well written not too mention the visual style to the movie encapsulates you into the world from the very start. The amazing use of light in the movie helps to show the real context of the differing worlds, and also helps to draw you into the tale. Add to that some of the finest creature design and acting work I’ve ever seen, along with a story that could span time and you get the greatest foreign language, or any language film I’ve ever seen.
- The Dark Knight
- The Devils Backbone
- Evil Dead
- Breaking Bad- honestly I know its just ending so it shouldn’t be up here (at least this high) but has there ever actually been a better a television show? Certainly not in the last 15years that I have been watching shows faithfully. I’m not sure what’s left to say about this show- so just check it out if you haven’t already.
- The Walking Dead
- Sons of Anarchy
- Fringe- only just saw this and was blown away by its brilliance
- Batman the Animated Series- this is everything that an animated series should be, its faithful to the core source material, its well produced from the sound track to the voice actor work, it contains well drawn action sequences and mature story lines that build and develop throughout the shows history. Add to that Batman and a rogue gallery including Joker, Penguin, Bane, Mr Freeze and Selina Kyle and you truly have the best animated show yet produced.
- X-men (original 1990’s)
- Avengers Assemble
- Young Justice
- Dungeons and Dragons
Graphic novels/One Shots/Limited series:
- Sin City- this is easily the best time limit series of stories that have ever been produced, all the way from the artwork to the story and the characters involved. These stories are clear classics that you never tire of reading and getting engrossed in. Marv is a character that will stay with anyone who reads these tales and with good reason- just like Sin City you never want to forget.
- Batman- The long Halloween
- Y The last Man
- The Killing Joke